Update on the New Sexual Health Service for North Yorkshire and York
York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has been commissioned by North Yorkshire County Council and City of York Council to deliver a new integrated sexual health service across North Yorkshire and York. The new service will commence on the 1st July and the service will be provided under the recognised name YorSexualHealth.
Benefits of the new service will include improved access to services and better training and support to professionals.
One advantage of the new service will be the introduction of ‘One stop shop’ clinics providing contraception, STI tests and treatments for all ages. This means that in most cases people will be able to have all their sexual health needs met by one practitioner without the need for onward referral.
We are working in partnership with GP Alliances to maximise access and choice for people. We are also working with North Yorkshire AIDS Action to provide Services for People Living with HIV and with Yorkshire MESMAC to provide Community Outreach Services as part of the new integrated service.
Improved access to services will be achieved through:
• YorSexualHealth Centres in Northallerton, Harrogate, Scarborough, Selby and York
• New community clinics across all district council areas
• Targeted ‘Satellite’ clinics (including those targeted towards young people)
• Provision for military personnel
• Delivery of services in healthcare settings (including GP surgeries)
• The use of “virtual” clinics including telephone consultations and postal treatments
• A specialist clinical outreach team
Improved professional support, training and leadership will be delivered by:
• The implementation of a new sexual health training service
• Clinical leadership and advice
• Management of a new Condom Distribution Service and the Chlamydia Screening Programme
• An improved YorSexualHealth website with a dedicated online resource for professionals
Proposed Clinic Locations
Monkgate Health Centre
York University (CII building)
Wenlock Terrace Surgery
Front Street Surgery Acomb
Scott Road Medical Centre
Sherburn Group Practice
Askham Bryan College
Dyneley House Skipton
Townhead Surgery Settle
Leyburn Medical Practice
Richmond (venue tbc)
Harewood Medical Practice
Friarage Hospital Northallerton
Mowbray House Surgery
Pickering Medical Practice
Yorkshire Coast College
Whitby Community Hospital
Full details on the level of service provided at each venue, along with clinic times will follow in the next briefing to be issued in June.
Over the next few months York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust will be working with North Yorkshire County Council and City of York Council on implementing the new service model.